Cobourg Newspaper Index
Heritage Buildings
Civic
<b>48th Highlanders Band marching past the old Post Office building<b>
48th Highlanders Band marching past the old Post Office building Details
In 1856, Ebenezer Perry sold this corner property to the Bank of Montreal who then built this building around 1860. In 1881, it was conveyed to W. D. Burn who sold it to the Crown in December 1882 and it became the Cobourg Post Office. Despite much controversy and objection, the Post Office moved to its present location and this building was demolished in 1960.
<b>Cobourg Gas Works<b>
Cobourg Gas Works Details
The Gas Works was Cobourg's oldest public utility, this building being constructed in 1855. Until the 1890s the lighting of the town streets was all gas. On September 8, 1938 the public was notified that the Gas Works would close on December 31 of that year.
<b>Cobourg Jail<b>
Cobourg Jail Details
In 1906 the United Counties of Durham and Northumberland purchased the land on Albert Street and built a new jail, moving all items and prisoners from the "Olde Gaol" that had been located on the corner of Elgin and Burnham Streets. This new jail was the County jail for both of these counties till 1968 when the province took over and then till 1998 when it was decommissioned.
<b>Cobourg Post Office<b>
Cobourg Post Office Details
In 1856, Ebenezer Perry sold this corner property to the Bank of Montreal who then built this building around 1860. In 1881, it was conveyed to W. D. Burn who sold it to the Crown in December 1882 and it became the Cobourg Post Office.
<b>Cobourg Post Office<b>
Cobourg Post Office Details
In 1856, Ebenezer Perry sold this corner property to the Bank of Montreal who then built this building around 1860. In 1881, it was conveyed to W. D. Burn who sold it to the Crown in December 1882 and it became the Cobourg Post Office.
<b>Cobourg Post Office and Custom House<b>
Cobourg Post Office and Custom House Details
In 1889, after the addition was constructed, The Post Office also became the Custom's House. Despite much controversy and objection, the Post Office moved to its present location and this building was demolished in 1960.
<b>Cobourg Public Library<b>
Cobourg Public Library Details
The Mechanics Institute held the original library as they did in many towns. In Cobourg there was a Mechanics Institute as early as 1836. In 1886 it was reorganized as a public library. The first library was at town hall in what is now known as the Judges Chambers, then moved to the old YMCA building on King Street. In the mid 1950s it became a free Public Library under the new Public Libraries Act and search started for a much-needed new building. The library on Chapel Street was purchased in 1963 from Trinity United church and had been a Sunday School Hall built in 1881.
<b>Cobourg Town Hall<b>
Cobourg Town Hall Details
Cobourg's town hall is one of the finest civic buildings in Canada. It was built in 1860 and formally opened by Edward, Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, King of England.
<b>Military Hospital<b>
Military Hospital Details
Near McGill and King, this building was used as a hosptial when a detachment of British regulars were in town during the Fenian scare. It was built in 1866.
<b>Old Bailey Courtroom, ground floor of Victoria Hall<b>
Old Bailey Courtroom, ground floor of Victoria Hall Details
This room is modeled on that of the Old Bailey in London's criminal courts. The first thing you notice is the Royal Coat of Arms as painted by a German artist named Moser, which seems almost three-dimensional.
<b>Renovation of the Bank of Commerce<b>
Renovation of the Bank of Commerce Details
Southeast corner of King and Second Street
<b>Sidbrook Private Hospital<b>
Sidbrook Private Hospital Details
This building is a fine example of the style known as Beaux Arts Classical a popular style in the US at the close of the 19th century. It was originally built as a home but became a private hospital in 1952 and closed in 2002.
<b>Victoria Hall<b>
Victoria Hall Details
Victoria Hall was started in 1856 and completed in 1860. It was designed by Kivas Tully of Toronto. It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on September 7th, 1860. In the 1960s Lenah Fisher began tireless efforts to restore Victoria Hall which began in earnest in the 1980s and continues to this day with the Victoria Hall Restoration Committee.
<b>Victoria Hall<b>
Victoria Hall Details
Victoria Hall was started in 1856 and completed in 1860. It was designed by Kivas Tully of Toronto. It was officially opened by the Prince of Wales on September 7th, 1860. In the 1960s Lenah Fisher began tireless efforts to restore Victoria Hall which began in earnest in the 1980s and continues to this day with the Victoria Hall Restoration Committee.
<b>Cobourg Fire Hall<b>
Cobourg Fire Hall Details
Photo taken from Albert and Division Street. To the left is Market Building, in the centre foreground is the Fire Hall and tower and Victoria Hall is located behind the Fire Hall.
<b>Northumberland Hall<b>
Northumberland Hall Details
Northumberland Hall was built by George Strange Boulton around 1824. It was bought in 1874 by William Rosamond who had recently purchased the Woolen Mills. The Rosamonds were well known wool manufacturers from Almonte. At the turn of the century, the house was purchased by Henry Fitzhugh. The Fitzhughs made substantial alterations to the house. The family owned the house until 1974. Shortly after its sale, it was demolished.
<b>Northumberland Hall<b>
Northumberland Hall Details
This building was typical of the landscape techniques of this era with twelve acres of park-like ground, professionally maintained. It was surrounded by graveled walkways and driveways that were raked daily, and pathways meandering throughout the property.
<b>House of Refuge<b>
House of Refuge Details
Cobourg had developed a ‘House of Refuge’ near the corner of James and George streets in the early 1890s. The home took in the elderly, indigent and destitute of the community. Eventually the Home was moved to its present site at Burnham and Elgin streets or the old courthouse and jail.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit