Historical Plaque, Gore's Landing
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Dedication of the Historical Plaque located in Pioneer Park, Gore's Landing. Shown left to right after the ceremony are: Alex Carruthers, MPP for Durham; Rev. Michael Mandick, Minister of the United Church in Gore's Landing; Gordon Carruthers, Reeve of Hamilton Township; Russell Rowe, MPP for Northumberland; Wallace 'Wally' Pratt; Miss Enid Rogers, President of the Northumberland Historical Society; Rev. Lloyd Delaney, Rector of St. Mark's Anglical Church, Midland; Mrs. Norman D. Martin, wife of the rector of St. George's Anglican Church, Gore's Landing; Dr. Norman D. Martin, Rector, St. George's Anglican Church; Leslie Gray, representing the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board and Earl Walkey, former Warden of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham.
- On Sunday, June 23, 1968 this historical plaque commemorating the village of Gore's Landing was unveiled in Pioneer Park, opposite the Anglican Church rectory. It was one of a series of plaques that the Department of Public Records and Archives, acting on the advice of the Archaelogical and Historic Sites Board of Ontario, erected.
- Named after Thomas S. Gore, an Irishman who settled in this vicinity in 1845, the village of Gore's Landing prospered for a time as the terminal point of a plank road constructed from Cobourg to Rice Lake 1847-48. Among the well known residents of Gore's Landing were Archibald Lampman (1860-1899), noted poet; Derwyn T. Owen (1876-1947), Anglican Primate of All Canada from 1934-1947; J.D. Kelly (1862-1958), historical artist; and Gerald S. Hayward (1845-1926), a painter of miniatures who won acclaim in the U.S. and Britain. Hayward contributed to the building of the present St. George's Anglican Church, constructed of stone in 1908 to replace the wooden church erected 1846-48, and is buried in the adjacent cemetery
- Date of Original
- June 23, 1968
- Local identifier
- Historical Photographs
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.11682 Longitude: -78.23282
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Cobourg Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4