- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Curling Bonspiel was held in the Arena, as Cobourg did not have a regular curling club during this time period. Back row left to right:
Harry Lucas, Jack Harrison, Jack Mitchell, Cec Wilson, ?, George Mitchell Sr., ?, George Mitchell Jr.
Left is one of the Fishers, and the man in the middle in white is Dr. Higgins from New York State.
- The sport of curling in Cobourg pre-dates 1859 when an ad appeared in the local paper regarding a meeting for the purpose of re-establishing the Cobourg Curling Club. In the 1860s there were two rinks operating on the Factory Creek pond and a total of seven rinks in Cobourg overall. The first covered rink was on James Street but it burned in 1880. There as another one south of the jail, one on University West, King Street West and then Queen Street where it became the Waverly Curling Club of Cobourg. This closed during the second world war but reopened in 1952. In 1960 a new rink was built at Division and Elgin Streets and the name changed to the Cobourg Golf and Curling Club. Then in the early 1970s they joined with the Port Hope club and became what is now the Dalewood Golf and Curling Club on Dale Road.
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- Historical Photographs
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.95977 Longitude: -78.16515
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Cobourg Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4